With St. Patrick(or Padriag)’s day having already passed, that doesn’t mean the fun with corned beef and cabbage has to end. This stew is more of an American dish for this holiday, but it still is a favorite by many. This recipe incorporates cabbage, a seasonal vegetable, and meat, both of which are put into a slow cooker. It’s a minimal effort, delicious meal that guarantees no dry beef! From the kitchen of allrecipes.com comes this hearty St.Patrick’s Day meal.
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into matchstick pieces
- 10 baby red potatoes, quartered
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups water
- 1 (4 pound) corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 6 ounces beer
- 1/2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- Place the carrots, potatoes, and onion into the bottom of a slow cooker, pour in the water, and place the brisket on top of the vegetables. Pour the beer over the brisket. Sprinkle on the spices from the packet, cover, and set the cooker on High.
- Cook the brisket for about 8 hours. An hour before serving, stir in the cabbage and cook for 1 more hour.